Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Guest Blog: Change your Picture – Change the Outcome

This month's guest blogger is Joanne Shydian.

The other day I was feeling a little stressed thinking about how to go about implementing several ideas that a team of HR&PS employees came up with in response to the Values Survey results. Their ideas are terrific, and include: monthly e-news from the AVP’s Office; the implementation of an HR&PS internal employee recognition program; a regularly scheduled Q&A session with the AVP and group of HR&PS employees, and a monthly “have lunch with the AVP” program, among other things. In addition, I’ve also committed to meet with every Human Resources and Payroll Services employee individually to hear directly from them their ideas, what’s working well, professional development and career aspirations, and what specifically they would like to see changed in their work environment.

I was feeling stressed because it seemed like all I could focus on was how: how to work out the administrative details in creating the “programs” and how to accomplish all of it when my days are already filled to the brim (something I know everyone reading this blog can relate to!). Then it struck me. The stress I was feeling was a direct result of my focus on how I had too much on my plate and not enough time in the day. I clearly needed an attitude adjustment! I realized it was time for me to change the way I was thinking. Holding on to my current belief (too much to do, too little time), was only causing more stress.

So, I’ve stopped worrying about the how (worrying is negative goal setting after all) and I now spend my time more productively painting the picture (in my mind) of the goal/outcome; an efficient work environment where employees are fully engaged in providing input, and are routinely recognized for their contributions. After all, isn’t that really the result we’re after, what we’re all striving to achieve?

No comments: